Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Windstone Arch-South

Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada
May 11, 2013
Nikon D3100: Tamron 18-270 at 18 mm: ISO 400: 1/125 sec.: f/9
My wife just had our first baby (I am typing this from the hospital) and being the awesome wife that she is, she told me to take a day before the baby came and go shooting wherever I wanted.  I decided to return to Valley of Fire State Park and try to find many of the sites I didn't see the first time.  First on my list was Windstone Arch (also called Fire Cave).  I had read that it was very hard to find so I used a GPS and found it almost immediately.  Even without the GPS, I think it can be found easily.  It is the first little turnout from the West entrance to the loop on the gravel road.  directly east of the road is a little rock formation.  If you directly behind that rock formation, you should be able to find this small cave.  Although the view from the North entrance of the cave is more appealing, the light worked much better from the South so that is where I started.

No comments: